Wednesday 10 September 2008

I saw the stars last night

I saw the stars last night. Briefly. This was the first time I’ve seen the stars for some time. That’s partly because I had given up looking up, only to see endless cloud. And because if you look up when it’s raining, the rain runs into your eyes. But yesterday it stopped raining. You could walk up the street at your own pace. Look in shop windows. Speak to people in the street. And then last night; stars.

8.25am. The radio is on. The weather. Rain in Scotland and Northern Ireland; dry elsewhere. Grey rain is once again sheeting across the garden, even though I am not in Scotland or Northern Ireland. The radio has switched to Geneva, where the Big Bang machine is about to be switched on. Many have predicted the end of the world as a result of this very biggest of scientific experiments, trying to recreate conditions at the beginning of creation. What’s more worrying is that there are British scientists involved, drawn from a nation that cannot recreate the conditions necessary to have a winning national football team. Should we be worried? I am suddenly reminded of the figure of Arthur Dent, in his dressing gown, enjoying a nice cup of tea, and finding the Vogon ship ready to destroy Earth.

8.30am. Machine is on. Tea is poured. Everyone waits. Nothing happens.

8.40am. Champagne is poured in Geneva. Cheering and applause. Outside is still there. I’m still here so I’ll have a second cup of tea.

No comments: