Tuesday 7 October 2008

I'm off (duty)

I’m finding I need a break from duties every week now, whereas before I could take a couple of days every other week. This is all a bit odd, as I haven’t done it for years. Also, people’s reactions are rather strange. On those sort of committees where you must record your absence and the reason why you’re not there, I noticed that someone had said I was on a “family holiday”. Would people in ordinary jobs describe their average weekend as “family holiday”? I don’t think so. Then on another set of minutes someone had said that I had “felt the need to” have a day off. Do people in other professions only have time off when they “feel the need to”? I’m sure they don’t. I should not work more than two sessions per day, though I do. I should not work up to 60 hours, 6 days a week, though I frequently do. I should not have to justify being off duty for two evenings and one whole day, for no apparent reason whatsoever, though it seems to be expected. But I won’t.

No comments: