Monday 7 July 2008

Why I still read the papers

I get fed up with reading newspapers and wonder why I still bother. Then an issue comes along that knocks my socks off, with so much stuff that I might as well have personally ordered to be written, so relevant and interesting is it. The Guardian Review last Saturday was one such issue. A real page-turner.

The main article was on “The Art of Texting” by David Crystal, with Will Self and Lynn Truss. Really good stuff about this research that shows that texting has not led to the decline of the language, the end of spelling, or anything like that. In fact, text language is just a process that’s been going on since the first use of “IOU” in 1618.

Over the page, and Martin Amis and the trouble with God; a review of the Sixties Unplugged by Gerard DeGroot (Wilson was a great PM; yes!). It gets better; Anne Enright on writing on page 15, plus ten of the best Last Sentences, including Laurence Sterne’s “A Sentimental Journey”; Lives and Letters on page 21 has Geoffrey Moorhouse’s account of a visit from Janet Frame, and John Crace’s Digested Classic is Conrad’s “Heart of Darkness”. How good is all that? Well I enjoyed it, anyway. Worth the £1.50 just for the Review, I reckon.

No comments: