Wednesday 1 July 2009

A day of reflection

It is, finally, hot and sunny up here. We have had grey and rain for days while many of you have been basking. I have felt left out of the weather forecasts since about the beginning of last week. There are lies, damned lies, statistics, and weather forecasts.

I'm not sure if there's any kind of record for the number of anniversaries on or about one day, but this is my record day, or, strictly speaking, two days. Yesterday was the fortieth anniversary of my attending selection for Church of England ministry. About 20 of us were locked away in a conference centre in Northumberland. I remember watching bits of the Investiture of the Prince of Wales on a colour TV in the lounge (we didn't have a colour TV at home). Yesterday was also the day when I was ordained as a deacon, thirty six years ago. Thirty five years ago today I was ordained a priest, and twenty seven years ago yesterday the Dude was born, rather earlier than expected.

At the moment I'm in a darkened room, thinking. I had planned to write about all of this, as part of the purpose of this blog, but the energy levels are so low, it's not really coming. Today is quiet. yesterday was supposed to be, but wasn't. We have another suicide to cope with, the second in the parish in three weeks, though not as dramatic as the first. The events are unconnected. But people are feeling very raw. Members of our ministry team were involved in the discovery. So rather than having time to dwell on the past, I'm busy dealing with the present and trying to support them.

As always, clergy celebrate their anniversaries at the same time as new clergy are being ordained, and I'm getting ready to haul myself over to the other side of the country for an ordination service this coming weekend.

2 comments:

AnneDroid said...

Congratulations on these anniversaries, my friend. I think recognising milestones in our lives is good for us though I couldn't articulate why exactly.

I'm sorry about these pastoral situations you've got, though. That is very sad, and draining for you.

racingdemon said...

Thanks AD; suicides are sadly frequent in your line of work, i guess, but we have had six in my six years here, and two in three weeks, from a population of less than 3,000. Bad news.