Friday 21 August 2009

While I've been Away

I'd like to write about all the insights I've gained from three weeks away, and all the books I've read, but, the fact is, I've been a bit knackered, and the reading and writing blocks have continued, and tonight is the first time I've touched a keyboard with serious intent. I did start a book this afternoon, but i also switched the radio on to Test Match Special, and the instant I did so, Broad started to cut a swathe through the Aussie batting, so, of course, I couldn't then turn it off, could I?

Now where was I?, Oh yes, while I've been away.

While I’ve been away I’ve been exploring a bit more of the possible alternative spiritual homes, or at least spiritual bus shelters, that might find space for me come next year. Not easy.

I’ve always had a lot of time for the Quakers, even though some of their pacifist activists are amongst the most angry people I’ve ever met. We used to go off on peace actions at US bases, pinning little white doves on fences, and I got the impression that if some of the little old ladies could get their hands on a soldier they might do serious harm. There is a Meeting House near here, goes back several centuries and run in family hands throughout its history. We had a good talk over coffee. I said how impressed I was that they managed to get a mention in a Guardian editorial in praise of their stand on same sex partnerships. It was good, I said, that a religious group was prepared to take a courageous stand, without, it would appear, worrying about the consequences on membership and recruitment, or adverse press and media criticism. It was a shame, they said, that so many people were willing to come ot meetings as attenders, but that full membership was dwindling and getting older. Don’t look at me, I said; I’m not up for joining things, or propping up any organization; I’ll come clean and say I’m only in it for the peace and quiet of the worship. I don’t need any more meetings.

I went to Orthodox vespers. Wonderful. Christianity with its roots showing. The music seems to come straight from some ancient desert place. Unfortunately, vespers always ends with a little Orthodox sermonette, in which the priest reminds you of various sins and heresies you have been unwittingly committing for most of your life. And don’t expect compromise, or the search for common ground; unity of Christians will be achieved only when everyone becomes Orthodox once again. Like that’s going to happen any time soon.

I went to a Roman Catholic mass that same week, and an Anglican eucharist. That’s the three major schisms covered in one week. Oh well. After all, as someone didn't say, the Church of England is the worst possible denomination, except for all the others.

My tai chi group starts again next week.

No comments: