Friday 22 August 2008

Ah, yes, the Olympics

As well as a Lambeth-free Zone, this blog has been an Olympics-free Zone. Many have found refuge here, no longer required to know the difference between their keirin and their ynging, their finn and their bmx. But my favourite blogs all seem to go mad about the Olympics, so I thought I’d better do something before they finish. I feel slightly unpatriotic. I’m also not good on sport. As I always say, I love exercise, I could watch it all day. Only I don’t. Watch it, I mean. I don’t think I saw more than a few minutes of the Sydney Olympics live. I’ve watched a couple of the Olympics Today evening programmes on BBC this time. It’s not something I get excited about. But I’m really jolly glad that we did so well.

My mind is turning to next time. I’m interested in all the bids being put in for new sports at which we Brits can clean up on the medals. I have a few suggestions which I modestly put forward for consideration:

Synchronised narrowboating
Armchair football
Dog walking
Fishing
Lock-wheeling (cycling short distances between canal locks)
Pancake racing
Darts

I’d consider having a go at one or two of these myself. Johnny Foreigner won’t have a clue about any of them and by the time they get good at them, we’ll have come with another lot. More suggestions welcome.

2 comments:

AnneDroid said...

4x4 knitting would be one I'd enter - more sociable than solo knitting.

And I'd enjoy relay jigsaw, with a glass of red wine for each team member.

I'm not very sporty either...

Unknown said...

Extreme Sarcasm, Driving Like A Chav (up and down the same street repeatedly with loud music), and Talking About The Weather would be my suggestions.