Monday 11 August 2008

Two pounds of sugar please!

The fact that a lot of other stuff, meetings, etc, doesn’t happen in August means that I can get out and see people at home and stuff like what vicars are supposed to do but never have the time.

I went to see T, who is having to sit very still in front of the telly, because he is getting over major heart surgery, and had a slight stroke last week. He’s OK, but bored and a bit cross, because he thinks the doctors have told him to sit still and do nothing in case he does something and has a heart attack and they get the blame.

Don’t do anything, don’t lift anything, they told him. OK, he said, but does that really mean anything? Pretty much, they said. You’re OK if you take it steady, like a 2lb bag of sugar, they told him. I need some sugar, I said, you could go and fetch it. But what if I need 2lb of potatoes? he said. No chance, I said. You can lift a coffee mug, but not the kettle, they said. What bloody use is that? he said, in an exasperated tone. All too risky, I said, best sit there and watch the Jeremy Kyle Show and I’ll do it.

No comments: