Saturday 23 February 2008

There there

I’ve not been posting much for a week or so because two things happened which got in the way. One, I had an asthma attack. This was the full works, exercise-induced, brought on after a little light garden tidying (I like to do a bit every year, whether it needs it or not). I’ve never had asthma before, so this came as a bit of a surprise. While I wheezed and coughed Tigger carried on with the clearing up, and then turned her attention to unblocking the hoover. Eventually she suggested ringing the doctor. I agreed. “My husband’s having a severe asthma attack!” she said, “Shall I bring him in immediately?” They agreed. If it’s that bad, I thought, why didn’t we go twenty minutes ago? I was on a nebuliser for half an hour, and am now kitted out with the inhalers and stuff, and stuck with this for the rest of my days, no doubt. The thing about being married to a nurse is, if you survive the initial emergency and the refusal to pay any attention to my plaintive cries for help, you eventually get superb after-care. We got back home, supper cooked for me and an early night. And that’s it as far as the garden is concerned.

No comments: