Wednesday 25 June 2008

Important Appointments 2

I’m off to the other side of the country, where a very dear friend is to be ordained this weekend. Having celebrated the very radical and disturbing John the Baptist, we commemorate the ambivalent character of St Peter and the frankly unattractive (in my view) figure of St Paul, always known as “the founder of Christianity” (not always meant as a compliment, I feel). This weekend is the time for ordinations, and many will now be preparing, as my dear friend is. I shall be there, as also the priest who had a formative influence on both of our lives. Together we have something like 78 years of ordained ministerial experience; how scary is that? We told her we were delighted, but also deeply impressed. My view is anyone going into ordained ministry today is extraordinarily brave and committed. My prayers are with all of them this weekend. Last one to leave, please turn the lights off.

No comments: