Saturday 27 June 2009

What I didn't learn from my emails today

We have a new bishop, announced with great fanfares and flummery to a small crowd in the market square. The email to "undisclosed recipients" seemed to suggest that we should all go along and have sandwiches and join the press conference. Goodness knows who or how many received this. The Church of England always seems to think that the world is hanging on its every word and waiting with baited breath for its announcements, but, sad to say, this has not been my experience. Apart from the two archbishops and, perhaps, Durham and London, nobody seems much bothered who the new bishops are, and the names won't mean much to most people, except present colleagues and their mates and families.

Then "undisclosed recipients" got another message saying that there would be "plenty of room" so do come along. Oh dear.

What I didn't learn from my emails was what I really wanted to know, which was the man's name. If he's going to be my bishop, it would be nice to be informed. Another email arrived, warning of the need to protect our silverware and our lead flashing, with a note at the bottom to the effect that if we wanted to know the name of the new bishop, it would be on the diocesan website shortly. Well thanks.

No comments: