Sunday 6 January 2008

Brightest and best

Two days ago I was drinking coffee in the hatch of the boat, staring into space and not thinking about anything in particular.

"You look like you're totally at peace, with not a care in the world!" said a man on the towpath. "True," I said, "until I go back tomorrow." "Don't go back!" he replied. Don't think I haven't thought of it.

But .... first church services of 2008, and cause for optimism. In the tiny church away up the frozen valley, a lovely simple eucharist. At 9.30am (the advertised starting time) there were four people in church, so we arranged ourselves on chairs in the choir area. Another six people appeared as we began, but it was OK, and we shared a special time together at the beginning of the year. The valley was cold and dark; sun does not penetrate down here at this time of year. Back in the little town, the lay-led service was just about on the money as far as I was concerned; forty-two minutes, good, well-planned material, well presented, and with the youngsters involved in a procession of the three kings, bringing gifts to the crib. Gosh; maybe I can make myself redundant! Always a sense of acting out of time at Epiphany; all those who couldn't wait to get decorations up at the end of November are desperate to rip them down as soon as New Year's Day is over (if they wait that long). To see the church, with huge Christmas tree still lit, crib in place and carols sung is odd for visitors. I must remember, it is all of them who are out of step with us. H has returned from a month in the Blue Mountains of Australia, where, she claims, she found a church just like ours! I find that hard to believe, even if the priest was barefoot! Just try doing that this morning up the valley.

No comments: