Thursday 17 January 2008

God's frozen people

The central heating boiler has died. It died two days ago. It is not too cold at the moment, but still very windy and pouring with rain, so the house is chilly and draughty and nothing dries when you come in from outside. The Dude is at his new job guarding things, on night duty, and so is either at work or in bed. Tigger is working this weekend, so not here. Me, I’ve taken this as a sign from God that I should visit more old people. I spent two hours in one of the care homes this morning. It was so warm I had to take my coat AND my pullover off. I’ve done hospital visits too. Lovely warm wards. The weather has been appallingly bad, and all the lanes around are streaming with water. The main street of the little town has been running with water, and at one point the drain covers were being lifted by the force of it.

It’s getting late now, and I’m upstairs with an oil-filled radiator on, trying to hold out a bit longer before going to bed. Maybe I’ll put a hat and scarf on and go downstairs to make some tea.

No comments: