Wednesday 23 January 2008

Can I stop now please?

The original purpose of this blog was for me to explore my current life and work, and to think through possibilities for the way ahead. Having been in professional ministry for so many years, what does the future hold? For many of my colleagues, the answer is simple. More of the same, even into retirement, when many of them almost immediately become attached to parishes and go on doing all the same things. I wonder. If it is possible to discern a vocation to ministry, is it possible to discern a vocation to leave? In other words, to feel drawn to set the role aside, not because you feel you can’t do it, or don’t believe in it any more; but simply because one feels that one has done enough and has no more to offer. I have officiated at public worship on more than 1,500 Sundays. My ministry is longer than Our Lord’s entire life, for goodness sake! Just imagine how he’d be, still traipsing the countryside at nearly sixty, still expected to come up with that fine phrase, that clever parable, still putting up with dim-witted disciples who manage to misunderstand what he is saying. Isn’t it time to stop? What more can I say or do? I’d really like some time to do something that nourishes my spirit, that helps me pay attention to the condition of my immortal soul. In the Church of the 21st century, in England, managing parishes is most definitely not it. I’m off to see The Boss about my ministerial review now. More later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Is that not simply what is called "burn out"?
After 35 years of giving oneself, the prospect of going on and on seems depressing and unfulfilling.
Priesthood, of course, is ontological and can't be laid aside.
That's why I'm looking elsewhere. Perhaps to resign and seek orders in the RC Church.
To stop ministering is simply called "retirement", with the new freedom that brings. Each to his own. I would love to pack it all in tomorrow. But I would like to be able to say mass 'til I kick the bucket. Being tired of being a Vicar is understandable; but not being a priest would leave an awful vacuum.