Sunday 6 January 2008

Ties that bind

H has returned from Australia with an enthusiasm for the Anglican Communion. She found a tiny church in the Blue Mountains where, she says, "I found myself instantly at home!" She was taken in, made friends, exchanged news and plans, read the lesson at Christmas. I remember finding the same thing years ago in Trinidad and Tobago. Wandering into the Cathedral in Port of Spain, I looked at the familiar blue Ancient and Modern hymnbooks. Inside they were stamped with the name of a church in Streatham. In Tobago, we found a man walking along the street leading a goat on a string. He turned out to be the parish priest. I told him who I was and we chatted for a while. "Come and preach tomorrow!" he said, "It's Harvest Festival!" I asked what time the service was and he said "Six o'clock". "Ah, sorry; we're going out tomorrow night" I replied. "In the morning!" he said. Not being able to come up with an excuse we turned up and I spoke off the cuff. Best Harvest I've ever been to. Followed by a good breakfast.

Before returning to work we got out our diaries and started to plan our year; yes, we really do mean, year. So many things seem to be happening, family and friends having Events and Occasions. The tieing nature of ministry is starting to really bite now. I find I have to make choices between one special occasion and another; a special birthday, or a wedding? an ordination or a christening? Not easy. Weekends have always been at a premium, but after all these years it gets harder. While mother is alive, why should I not get to see her a couple of times each year, Mothering Sunday and her birthday? But add in everything else and it becomes a calendar nightmare. The Christmas cards express the hope that "we'll meet up in 2008", but I know that for most of those, the hope is a forlorn one.

No comments: